SEN Information Report

Annual SEN Report

The following report details the provision and SEN at St Eanswythe’s Primary School for September 2018 -2019.

  1. Current SEN register

2. Funding 

The school’s 2018/2019 SEN budget totals £17,628.

There are four children receiving 1-1 support totalling £1429.75 per month for the remainder of the financial year.  An additional £929.57 a month supports the provision for two other children with EHC Plans.

  1. SEN Need Type

The range of SEND in the school includes the following:  Speech and language difficulties/delays, dyslexia, ASD, ADHD, ASC, mental health, cognitive learning delays, dyscalculia, sensory issues and dyspraxia.  Children with Mental Health issues are able to access counselling both through school onsite provision and bought in counsellors funded through bids.

  1. The SEN policy

The SEN policy (updated Spring 2017) can be found on the school website.   The policy is evidenced through our practice in the following ways: 1a. How do we know if children need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, teaching assistants or the pupil’s previous school
  • there is lack of progress
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour
  • a pupil asks for help

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Talk to your child’s class teacher and the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Officer) Mrs Mary Paterson.

Or speak to Kim Adlington the school’s Family Liaison Officer.

How will I know how St Eanswythe’s will support my child?

Each pupil’s learning is planned by the class teacher; it is differentiated to ensure the pupil’s individual needs are fully met. This may include additional focused support by the teacher or teaching assistant.

Every pupil is discussed six times a year at St Eanswythe’s Pupil Progress Meetings.  This involves all members of staff that play a part in teaching and learning of that year group and the leadership team, this includes the SENCo.

During Pupil Progress Meetings pupils are identified for intervention and support (e.g. writing, fine motor skills, reading, spelling, maths, social or behavioural skills).

Additionally there is an SEND monitoring team, which includes the SENCo, the Read Write Inc Manager, the Specialist dyslexic teacher and the Reading Recovery teacher. This team meets three times a year to discuss and monitor pupils receiving additional support, including those children who have recently come off interventions.

Interventions are detailed on a year group Provision Map. Parents are informed if their child is receiving additional support at parent teacher consultation meetings. If your child is having specific interventions you will receive a letter explaining this to you.

If your child has an Education Health Care Plan you will receive a Provision Map detailing your child’s specific support and interventions, each academic year.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

Teaching assistants or a teacher may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.

Additionally, your child may work with the SENCo, a Reading Recovery teacher, teaching assistant or our specialist Dyslexia teacher if they have more specific needs.

If appropriate, specialist resources may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, coloured overlays, pen/pencils grips.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Here at St Eanswythe’s we operate an open door policy, all teachers are available at the end or the beginning of the school day. The Family Liaison Officer is available every morning on the school gate.

Additionally parents are formally invited to discuss their child’s progress in our parent consultation meetings.

Pupil progress, attainment and attitudes to learning are formally shared with parents twice a year – in October and February, although targets are shared with parents termly.

Parents of children with additional education needs will be informed regularly as to how their child is progressing. All of the SEN team make it their policy to meet with parents to explain the program, progress made and to encourage parents’ input.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

The class teacher may suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning through messages in the home school contact book, personally or at parents’ evenings.

The SENCo may meet with you to discuss how to support your child, if this is appropriate.

If outside agencies have been involved with your child they may provide ideas and suggestions that can be used with your child both at school and at home.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a range of pastoral support for all pupils who are experiencing emotional difficulties.

Some pupils may attend social skills groups or have 1:1 time with our Children’s Liaison Officer, Katy Fakley.

Some children may be eligible for bespoke counselling, art therapy or play therapy and this can be accessed through our SENCo.

Pupils with medical needs

If a pupil has a medical need they will have a Care Plan which is compiled in consultation with parents/carers. The plan is discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.

Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only with signed parental consent and with medicines in the original packaging.

All parents/careers are required to complete an asthma card, if their child is asthmatic, this must be signed by either a doctor or an asthma nurse.

We have a range of experience amongst our staff, most of whom are first aid trained

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive specialised expertise.

The agencies used by the school include:

Nurture Provision

Lego Intervention

ASD Champion

Talking Partners

STLS – Specialist Teaching and Learning Services

Educational Psychologist

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)

Inclusion Team

Social Care

Children’s Therapy Team (Speech & Language/Occupational Therapy)

School Nurse

Behaviour Support Service

Counselling – in house

Counselling through other agencies.

Church Street Project-Creative counselling therapies

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

Training is ongoing.

All staff have regular meetings with outside agencies who give advice/training for specific issues and needs.

Both the Reading Recovery Teacher and the Read Write Inc manager regularly update both staff and parents in any new initiatives.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including Educational Visits?

All pupils are eligible to participate in activities, events and educational visits.

Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to fully participate.

However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during a specific activity or visit

How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements as we are an old school with narrow corridors and staircases. To overcome these difficulties we have:

  • ramps into school to make the building accessible to all.
  • a toilet adapted for disabled users.
  • wide doors in some parts of the building.
  • a lift from ground floor to Hall.

See Accessibility Plan

All parents are invited to come and view the school before sending their child to our school.  We are happy to adapt practice where possible to ensure the school is inclusive to all.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining St Eanswythe’s School or transferring to a new school?

  • We encourage new entrants to St Eanswythe’s to visit and join us for two afternoons. All new entrants are paired with an older child who acts as a buddy for the first two years of their school life.

The reception Teacher visits all nurseries to observe new entrants and liaise with early years staff regarding any special requirements.

All reception staff go on home visits to observe children in their home environment and collect parental input. In addition the CLO and FLO run an afternoon for new children and parents to meet their buddies. They also offer home visit to meet parents and explain how we support them.

If the child is joining another year in the school we contact the child’s current school so that we can properly prepare for their arrival. In addition the child and parent will be contacted and offered a home visit by the FLO and CLO.

  • To support a pupil leaving St Eanswythe’s to join another Primary School we ensure all relevant information is shared.
  • To support a pupil leaving St Eanswythe’s and joining a secondary school the SENCo and/or SENCo Assistant meets with the secondary SENCo and/or completes all relevant documents.
  • We also prepare pupils for secondary school through transition lessons in Science, PHSE and RE. For some pupils additional visits are arranged to their secondary school and work between the class teacher and the new school is done to lay the foundations for transition.
  • The SENCo passes on SEND pupils files to their relevant secondary school.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The Inclusion budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support and/or resources dependent on an individual’s or cohort’s needs.

The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.

For pupils with a high level of need St Eanswythe’s School will apply for additional funding to help individual needs further.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

If a pupil has a special educational need the supported that is needed will be discussed and reviewed during the Pupil Progress Meetings which happen six times a year. In these meetings support, resources and intervention programmes are allocated and evaluated.

In addition to this the SENCo and the SEN monitoring team will review and discuss the support of all SEN pupils three times a year to check that both support and intervention are matching the needs of individual pupils.

Advice will be taken from any outside agencies or professionals who are working with the school or individual pupils.

Parents input will be sought before and after any changes in interventions or support, to judge the full impact of any support given.

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents are actively encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher
  • During parent-teacher consultation evenings
  • During discussions with the SENCo and other professionals

Who can I contact for further information?

Your child’s class teacher, in the first instance or the SENCo or the FLO.

Parents can find Kent’s Local Offer information on the following website:

Support that is available for improving the emotional and social development of pupils with special educational needs

At St Eanswythe’s CE Primary School we understand that an important feature of the school is to enable all pupils to develop emotional resilience and social skills, both through direct teaching, for instance CLO 1:1 time or social groups, FLO support and/or targeted intervention, and indirectly with every conversation adults have with pupils throughout the day.

For some pupils with the most need for help in this area we also can provide the following: Play Therapy, Circle of Friends, “time out” facilities, referrals to external agencies (School Nursing, Early Help and Preventative Services, Specialist Teachers, CHyPS).

Pupils in the early stages of emotional and social development because of their special educational needs will be supported to enable them to develop and mature appropriately.  This will usually require additional and different resources, beyond that required by pupils who do not need this support.

The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with special educational needs and disabilities and children and young people with SEND up to age 25 (Code of Practice 2015, 6.39)

Information Advice and Support Kent (IASK) provides a free and confidential, information, advice and support service, for parents of a disabled child or child with special educational needs and to children and young people up to age 25 who have a special educational need or disability.

Trained staff can provide impartial legally based information and support on educational matters relating to special educational needs and disabilities, including health and social care.  The aim is to empower parents, children and young people to fully participate in discussions and make informed choices and decisions.  Also to feel confident to express their views and wishes about education and future aspirations.

They can be contacted on

HELPLINE: 03000 41 3000

Office: 03000 412412


The arrangements made by the directors relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with special educational needs concerning the provision made at the school

The normal arrangements for the treatment of complaints at St Eanswythe’s CE Primary School are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs.  We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with the class teacher in the first instance, then SENCo and/or Headteacher to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the chair of the directors.

If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the directors, then a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contracted.  If it remains unresolved after this, the complainant can appeal to the First–tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), if the case refers to disability discrimination, or to the Secretary of State for all other cases.

There are some circumstances, usually for children who have an Education Health and Care Plan where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against a decision of the Local Authority. Complaints which fall within this category cannot be investigated by the school.

Accesssibility Plan

Our latest blogs


One of the girls in Year 6 received lovely gifts from the buddy that she…

Read more

Week 4 in 6B

This week in our 6B bubble we have been spending time with each other whilst…

Read more

Owls B

We have been having lots of fun at school over the past few weeks. We…

Read more


We have had a busy start to our week.  We have finished our book -Wonder…

Read more