“A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.” (National Curriculum)
PE at St Eanswythe’s:
- We are proud to provide challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; Invasion Games, Net & Wall Games, Strike and Field Games, Gymnastics, Dance, Outdoor & Adventure Activities and Swimming.
- Our pupils participate in two PE lessons each week, one covering a sporting activity every half term taught by the class teacher. Another taught by PE specialist coach, Harry.
- Throughout the year, additional lessons will be delivered, whole school days, extracurricular sports to include – skateboards, climbing, bike riding, boxing and free style football.
- All of our KS2 pupils partake in fortnightly swimming lessons. With weekly booster groups taken throughout the year. These are weekly blocks. Year 2 pupils have weekly block sessions during the summer terms.
- The Long Term PE Curriculum Overview sets out the PE Units/Activities which are to be taught each half term throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- We use and adapt a Scheme of Learning from Shepway Sports Trust to ensure planning, content and delivery is age appropriate.
- The emphasis of our PE curriculum is inclusion for all pupils regardless of sporting ability. We provide suitable learning opportunities for all pupils, including those with SEND.
- We promote both participation and competition through P.E and sport. We ensure all pupils experience competition at some level, individually or in a team, within lessons and intra school events.
- We have Intra class Sports competitions, for one half term each school year.
- Pupils participate in workshops/whole school events, sourced by School and delivered by Outside Providers, covering a variety of sports throughout the year. For example Archery, Skateboarding, Boxing, dance and high ropes providing the pupils with an opportunity to experience new activities, learn new skills, improve their fitness and to try something new.
- We have an annual inclusive House Sports Day, with the emphasis on participation and achievement for all.
- We have regular ‘walk a mile’ days. We walk as a whole school during worship along the Leas.
Platinum Award & Kent School Games Excellence Award Winners
In 2019 we presented the children with two awards that St. Eanswythe’s achieved, we are the only Primary School in Shepway to receive either of the awards. They both recognise the school and the children’s commitment and dedication to sport.
Last year every pupil did at least ten extra curricular sporting activities. Well done everyone, we’re proud of you!